Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Rebirth

So, I am going to sticking around here, since I haven't really dived into travel plans at all. I thought about travelling in late October till Christmas, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I can find someone to do a road trip with... That'll be pretty freakin' sweet.

Anway, I digress. As this is the MRSS A Cappella blog, I'm going to talk about singning. I've started up the choir again. I didn't do my "play cool songs in front of people" when I did my recruting bit, hoping to ride the success of last year, and that people would flock to the choir. No such luck. I had a total of 10 people sign up, and only 8 actually came and auditioned. Yeah. It's this low of turn out. No guys.

What to do...?

First off, do I even have enough people to do a choir? 8 is a stretch. As in, if everyone stays, I can barely pull off 4 parts. And if soloing, someone will have to be singing one on a part. Very, very scary, seeing that while the girls are good, but are they strong enough to go be that alone...? And if one or two people drop out, then we're really, really screwed...

Second, I have a bunch of really cool a cappella songs that I want to do, namely Accidentally In Love that I arranged (at least I got a chance to hear it performed a month back), and they are all SATB (girls + guys needed). I have NO music. I'll probably look around, since I'm in a bind, but just a tough call overall...

But, I'll have faith. I'll see where this takes me. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. I've started rearranging Imagine by John Lennon into girls only. It's sooo hard to do 4 parts, since when I do a counter melody, I effectively only have 2 parts left to provide background... Not cool.

I spent a few hours a couple of days ago trying this, and there were areas where I full split up certain voices in order to flesh the sound out. The more I do it, the harder it gets. And with the low turnout of girls, can I afford to do 5 parts?

I remember a lesson I recently learned, to just let go of control. If something is so hard for me to shape, why force it? So, I bit the bullet, and split it into 5 parts. Way easier to arrange, but much scarier in terms of end success due to low number of girls. But I'll try it. Let's hope this pans out. Guess I'll find out on Friday...

No comments: